Saturday, December 15, 2007

Kittens Galore

Kittens Images

Kittens Galore

One of my Maltese/Shitzu male dog was in the backyard barking, I went out to take a look to see what he was going off at but I couldn’t see nothing, so I came back in side, he would do this on a daily basis for about a week I think, I checked and I couldn’t see what all the commotion was about, then one day I saw this grey cat sitting on top of a type cupboard under my carport, it was just sleeping not doing anything much, so I let it be, I had no idea at the time whether it was male or female.

I thought my dog was barking at the stray cat sun baking in the sun on the cupboard, I told my son about it and we never really thought anymore of it, I wasn’t feeding the cat it was just a stray, I thought maybe the cat liked to annoy the dog or maybe it was making a new friend.

I thought to myself when I heard the dog going crazy on more than one occasions, next time my son and his girlfriend are here I will ask them to check the carport just in case it was something else and at the time I thought the cat may have had kittens or something.

It is Sunday the 5th August 2007, about 1pm in the afternoon, my son Mitchell rang me to let me know he was coming home from being at his girlfriends and his girlfriend Tanya was coming as well and said they were coming here to help me at home, I said naa its ok, stay there cause I wasn’t feeling very well and I was going to have a rest, I was sick with some viral infection and I was getting like fevers and I was tired from the sickness.

Well they came anyways and I remembered I was going to ask them to check the carport area of where our dog had been barking, at first they couldn’t see anything and Tanya being so tiny was able to get around the boxes of stuff, so they both (Mitchell & Tanya) shuffled things around to try and see what our dog had been barking at and what did she find, a kitten, a tiny little grey kitten that was approx 4 weeks old I guess, I have no idea really.

Tanya was able to catch the tiny kitten and pass it to Mitchell, Mitchell said straight away, mum its all boney and skinny, I thought because it hadn’t been fed properly except from its mother for the kitten to be so under weight, the kitten was shaking from terror, Mitchell also claimed this tiny kitten as his, LOL, he even named it, the tiny kitten had never seen a human except for that loud mouth little dog of ours that kept barking all the time and disturbing its sleep..lol I had to say that because I could imagine the kitten thinking this from all the darn barking he had done to let me know something was in his back yard.

I asked Tanya to check if there were anymore kittens around, and she couldn’t see anymore.

Well we took the kitten inside and I started to get it some food and warm animal milk that I had on hand.

While I was doing this our dog was going even crazier with his barking so I asked both Tanya and Mitchell to come and check to see if there is any more kittens just in case.

We put the first little kitten in a box while we checked outside.

Well they moved some boxes around once again and then Tanya would get all excited and say I found one with the biggest smile on her face, so she got the second kitten and passed it to Mitchell, he would snuggle it and make it feel safe and warm, then I asked her to keep looking as I had a feeling there was more, well she did, and yes two more kitten were found and yes Tanya got all excited and happy she found two more kittens with the biggest smile on her face again, Mitchell gave me the one he had and then Tanya passed the next two to Mitchell, then Tanya checked to see if there was anymore, I was hoping no more, heavens I didn’t even own a cat and now I got 4 of them.

Tanya couldn’t hear or see anymore so we went inside, kittens in arms so to speak and the three kittens we had, was now joined back with the first one that was found.
I went and got the food I was preparing in the beginning for the kittens, dunked there heads/noses kind of to give them the smell and taste of food and milk, they was hungry little blighters cause they got stuck into the food and milk, they really enjoyed it by the looks.

I worked it out why the first one we found was so tiny; it was what is called the runt of the litter or the last kitten that was born.

Well gee now I had no cats at the beginning of my day and now I got 4 of them.

Well I rang my local vet and I told him what had happened and he said it is normal for a mother cat to have her babies in a stranger’s house, and may be she liked my home as to have her babies in amongst my junk so to speak.

He also mentioned that if the owners of the mother cat did not look after her she will go elsewhere to have her babies, or she could have been a stray.

He did say to feed her to help her get her strength back and to try and catch her to see if she is micro chipped to then notify the owners.

So you may as well say I got 5 cats to feed now.

The vet said everything I was doing to help the kittens was right, with the special milk for baby animals and what I was feeding them with, I had a tin of tuna in the cupboard so I gave the kittens some of that, it would have been their first meal I guess, apart from what the mother cat was giving them.

The vet also gave me some emergency phone numbers of animal rescue but he said I don’t like your chances as there is so many cats now a days, I guess like a rabbit plague,I really didn’t want the kittens to be put to sleep.

Well I had to find a bigger box now didn’t I, and I did, Tanya wanted to keep one of the kittens but her mum said no, as soon as I can I will take some pics of the kittens for you all to see if you wish.

I went online to do some research on kittens and looking after them once again, I found on a website it said to use clay kitty litter for kittens and then I went to read about just how much is involved in looking after cats again, I have always been a dog person in my adult life, my mum was the cat person when I was a teenager, we had kittens all the time, I learnt from my teen days how to deliver animals and what to do then.

Well I brushed up on my knowledge and I knew what we now needed.

Monday afternoon Mitchell went to the shops for me after he finished TAFE for the day and bought some real kitten food (soft), kitten dry biscuits, CLAY kitty litter.
What I ended up doing for feeding time, as I didn’t want a mess in my house from the kittens learning their new ways, I put them in my bathtub that was pre lined with a plastic liner then lots of newspaper, put the food down first and their drink in a saucer type tray, for one to three meals to give them confidence and strength, then the next day I added a tray with the kitty litter and Mitchell took them in one at a time to use their kitty litter.

I used a plastic tray I had here for the litter tray, I was amazed how the kittens knew exactly what it was for and when to use it, Mitchell said to me, mum there using the kitty litter, I was like wow that is excellent.

And now I am feeding them 4 times a day, and I am going to weight them, maybe the vet can tell me how old they may be.

I remembered reading about animals coming into your life for a reason, Animal Totems reflect your hidden gifts, offer teachings that empower and heal, so I had these websites added to my favourites and I went to read about CATS.

Please read my next page of writing to learn about Animal Totems


Kitten Images over there ->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



Changing LINKS